Micro- and nanotechnologies (M&NT) are widely regarded as important future technologies and already serve as a basis for many innovative products and applications today. Despite the increasing importance of M&NT for the research and development site of Switzerland, however, there are only very few practical teaching aids and learning materials for the secondary level II available to date.
M&NT at Swiss schools currently do not enjoy the status they observe according to experts and teachers of natural sciences. This is the result of a study to determine the demand for such materials among Swiss teachers, education experts and professional organisations in autumn 2008.
In cooperation with the Swiss Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training (SFIVET) the Innovation Society lauches the project "Swiss Nano-Cube", which is going to close the existing gaps regarding micro- and nanotechnologies in the school education. Swiss Nano-Cube is the national information and learning platform dedicated to the topics of micro- and nanotechnologies for vocational schools, secondary schools as well as higher professional schools. The project will be developed and implemented within the next 2 ½ years.
Swiss Nano-Cube is a modularly structured information and education platform. It integrates the following elements:
- Web-based educational platform: Interactive database for didactically worked up information, learning materials and knowledge from the area of micro- and nanotechnologies, including e-learning tools, forums for exchange, newsletters and other demand-oriented educational materials.
- Practice oriented modules for education and advanced training: Target-group-specific and didactically processed educational modules for vocational schools, secondary schools and higher professional schools, as well as teacher training courses (Teach Nano). The content will be grouped by topic and method of learning.
- Quality assurance and accompanying research: Ongoing evaluation of the project's concept and implementation through an independent partner; contribution to the advancement and international positioning of the Swiss educational sector (in particular the professional formation) by promoting research and networking activities.
The Swiss Federal Office for Professional Education and Technology (OPET) in the context of the promotion of the Swiss professional education provides the start-up funding for Swiss Nano-Cube. The Federal authorities thereby follow the national strategy to promote the education of young people in natural sciences, mathematics and technology (NMT).
You may find more information on Swiss Nano-Cube as well as on the study to determine the demand in the following selection of relevant document (in German & English):
- Swiss Nano-Cube Educational Platform (www.swissnanocube.ch)
- Study to determine the demand (Management Summary) (English)
- Media Release (English)
- Brief project overview (German)
In case of any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The Innovation Society Ltd.
Phone +41 (0)71 274 72 66
Swiss Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training (SFIVET),
Phone +41 (0)31 910 37 30
Nanotechnology - The Important Thing is to be Well Insured ... »
Nanomaterials in Liability Insurances ... »